Whether you want to walk through peaceful, unspoilt scenery along well worn paths or you’d rather scramble up exposed rocky ridges then Monsterclimbs is the one for you.
Classic Weekend Walks – stay at Abbey Mill and walk in the Malverns and the Brecon Beacons enjoying 2 days of beautiful scenery. Either sit back and enjoy the walk or learn to navigate as you go. No previous experience necessary. This course is over 2 days and includes 2 days walking, 1 night Bed & Breakfast and transport to and from the walking venues. Cost:£200 per person or £350 for 2 people sharing a double room. Dates available on request.
Hillwalking skills/Discover navigation – if you are a regular hill walker but lack the confidence to go off the beaten track, this 2 day course takes you through every aspect of basic navigation. You will learn:
- What is the best clothing to wear on the hill
- What to pack in your rucksack
- How to be prepared for emergencies
- How and where to check for a weather forecast
- How to read the weather once you are on the hill
- How to orientate or set your map using a compass
- How to relate the landscape to the map
- How to use the legend in order to understand the symbols
- How the contours reveal the shape of the landscape and how steep the gradients are
- How to use 1:25000 and 1:50000 scale maps
- What grid references are and how to use them
- How to plan a route by breaking it down into logical legs
- How to follow a leg accurately using tick features
- How to navigate using linear features
- What pacing is and how to use it effectively on the hill
- How to use a compass,
- How to take and walk on a bearing
- How to use navigational tools such as attack points and aiming off to locate points in difficult conditions or terrain
- The Naismith’s rule to determine distance using timing
- How to enjoy and protect the upland environment
This course is over 2 days in the Brecon Beacons, it includes 2 days walking, 1 night Bed Breakfast and transport to and from the walking venues. Cost: £200 per person or £350 for 2 people sharing a double room.
Walker to Scrambler – if you want to develop your walking skills to take you over steeper and more adventurous ground, come along on this 2 day course based in either North Wales or the Lake District.
You will learn:
- How to move confidently over rocky terrain
- How to lower your centre of gravity, bending at the knees to ensure secure footwork
- How to spot one another on tricky steps
- How to use Confidence Roping for more serious sections or if someone is particularly nervous
- When and how to use Short Roping techniques using harnesses, slings and nuts
- When and how to split the route into short pitches using harnesses, slings, nuts and belays
Minimum 2- maximum 4 people. Cost £200 per person, £380 for 2 people. Cost includes 1 night’s accommodation in bunkhouse, hut or youth hostel. Dates and venue available on request. Bookings must be made in advance to ensure accommodation availability
Monsterclimbs also offer refresher courses for those who are preparing for their Mountain Leader Assessment as well as courses for more advance navigation techniques including bad weather and night navigation. Courses by arrangement, discounts for larger groups. Fill in an enquiry form to book or for further information.
DofE Bronze, Silver & Gold Training & Expeditions
Ali has been involved in the running and managing of DofE for over 11 years. She is now an Approved Activity Provider for all levels of the Award and is also an Accredited Assessor. Below is a programme that could be implemented in any school or youth organisation.
Bronze, Silver & Gold – Spring Term Training Days
Session 1 – Mapwork – 1:25,000, 1:50,000, setting the map, symbol recognition, contours and gradient, grid references.
Session 2 – Expedition kit, examples and discussion. Personal and group kit lists to be given out. Mindful of weight – essentials only.
Session 3 – Tent pitching – good practice and care/maintenance.
Session 4 – Cooking stoves/opportunity to cook a simple meal. Different food choices available to cook.
Session 1 – Basic First Aid – practical including CPR.
Session 2 – Risk & safety issues. Emergency Procedure – practical.
Session 3 – Participants to bring personal kit for inspection and discussion. Rucksack weight approximately 25% of participants weight. Keeping weight to a minimum.
Session 4 – Mapwork – plotting and describing a course – route cards.
Day 3 – Walking Training day in Bronze territory with half pack. Practical navigation, emergency procedure and cooking lunch on stoves.
Summer Term – further training, camping and expeditions
Day 4 – 5 – Camp Practice – only for Bronze & Direct Silver & Gold Entrants – Full pack including food.
Preparation and kit check, drop off/walk to campsite. Pitch tents and cook group hot meal. Evening – campcraft, organisation, compass bearings. Sleeping overnight in tents. Striking camp, cooking breakfast, walking back. Debrief.
Bronze – 2 day Practice Expedition, 2 days journeying, I night camping. 2 day Qualifying Expedition. 2 days journeying, I night camping.
Silver – 2 further days walking training in more remote terrain suitable for Silver Award. Opportunities to develop navigational skills in varying weather conditions using bearings. 3 day Practice Expedition – 3 day journeying, 2 nights camping. Monitoring and training throughout. Debrief. 3 day Qualifying Expedition – 3 days journeying and 2 night’s camping.
Gold – 2/3 further days walking training in wild country terrain suitable for Gold Award. Opportunities to develop navigational skills in varying weather conditions using bearings. 3 day Practice Expedition – 3 day journeying, 2 nights camping. Monitoring and training throughout. Debrief. 4 day Qualifying Expedition – 4 days journeying and 3 night’s camping.
Monsterclimbs is able to provide training, expeditions and/ or assessment as well as advice and training for staff up to Silver level. An ML is generally required to supervise participants at Gold.
If you would like any further information or clarification call Ali 07814555378 or complete a contact form.